Friday, November 19, 2004

The Best Bible Version is...

KJV? NIV? NASB? NLT? The Message?

When I became a Christian, my brothers in the faith got me into the New International Version. And it remains my favorite Bible. Sure, I've discovered other great versions. I use the King James 2000 for formal equivalence study and the Amplified Bible for expanded reference. But when it comes to writing style, no version can beat the NIV.

As to paraphrases, I've had an affinity for the Living Bible, and then I gravitated toward the Contemporary English Version, or CEV. But when you want a good devotional, stick to NIV. Or if you want something extra-light, I suggest you pick a paraphrase you're comfortable with. The Message is cool. But a more rad transliteration is coming out -- Rob Lacey's The Word on the Street.

Lacey's version combines street lingo and rap and even some sound effects; it's pretty exciting. It's already being sold in the U.S. by the thousands, but will be available in Asian bookstores by the first week of December 2004.

So, that's WORD ON THE STREET. Let's check it all out, beloved brethren!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home